- 2 cups (320g) grated zucchini (courgette) (about 2 zucchinis)
- 11/2 cups (210g) grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 150g feta, crumbled (gives good flavour)
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (70g) wholemeal spelt flour
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Using paper towels or a clean tea towel, squeeze any liquid from the zucchini.
2. Place the zucchini, carrot, feta, parmesan and honey in a big bowl. Crack the eggs on top and mix well to combine, using a spatula. With a sifter or sieve, sift the flour, salt and pepper into the bowl and mix until everything is really well combined.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. In batches of 3 or 4, spoon ¼ cups (60ml) of the mixture into the pan and flatten with a turner or spatula (you can make any size you like, but smallish ones are easier to flip). Cook fritters for 3-4 mins each side or until they’re golden brown and cooked through, using a turner to flip them. Add more oil to the pan as you need it.
4. Stack and serve the fritters warm from the pan, topped, if you like, with some natural yoghurt or cucumber hummus (below).
Place ¼ cup (65g) store-bought hummus, ½ cup (140g) natural Greek-style (thick) yoghurt, ¼ cup (45g) grated cucumber and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a small bowl. Add a little sea salt and cracked black pepper and mix well with a spoon.