Sky renews multi-year content deal with Discovery - Sky
#1 US true crime channel Investigation Discovery comes to Sky in 2021
Sky and Discovery, the global leader in real-life entertainment, today renewed their partnership, announcing a new multi-year deal that will continue to bring thousands of hours of premium factual and lifestyle shows to Sky customers.
The agreement includes Discovery’s iconic brands that Sky customers know and love - Discovery Channel, TLC, Discovery Turbo, Living, Food Network and Animal Planet, as well as the launch of new channel Investigation Discovery (ID). The deal also features expanded Video On Demand rights for Sky Go, Sky On Demand and Neon.
Discovery Channel will be made available to more Sky customers through a move to Sky’s Starter Package, and Investigation Discovery will make its New Zealand debut in Sky’s Entertainment Package in early 2021.
Sophie Moloney, Sky’s Chief Executive, said: “We know our customers love Discovery’s premium programming, and we are delighted to continue our 26-year partnership through a renewed deal that responds to our customers’ needs and the content landscape in New Zealand.
“New Zealanders are spoiled for choice when it comes to content. Our partnerships with the world’s leading content creators makes it easy for Sky customers to enjoy the best and broadest range of storytelling; all in one place. We are excited to deepen our offering of Discovery’s premium content by welcoming Investigation Discovery to New Zealand in 2021.”
Rebecca Kent, General Manager, Discovery Australia & New Zealand said: “We are pleased to extend and grow our long term partnership with Sky, and look forward to bringing even more of Discovery’s much-loved real-life content to Sky audiences across all screens.
“Reflecting the growing appetite for real crime stories, we also look forward to launching acclaimed true crime channel, Investigation Discovery, for Sky customers early next year.”
Sky and Discovery – Partnership highlights
- Premium factual content: Sky will continue to be the premiering destination of Discovery’s most popular factual hits, including Aussie Gold Hunters, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, Fast N’ Loud and annual event Shark Week.
- Compelling true crime stories: The leading US true crime channel, Investigation Discovery (ID), will launch in New Zealand for the first time on Sky in 2021. ID explores the dark side of human nature as it reveals the truth behind compelling real crime stories. Launch titles include US hits Serial Killer: Devil Unchained, In Pursuit with John Walsh and the franchise ID Murder Mystery, a series dedicated to iconic cases.
- Regional commissions: Discovery will continue to bring local audiences regionally-produced commissions for Sky including successful Australian shows Aussie Gold Hunters and Outback Opal Hunters.
- More content on demand: Thousands of hours of premium content from Discovery Channel, Investigation Discovery, TLC, Living, Discovery Turbo, Food Network and Animal Planet will be available to stream on demand on Sky Go and Sky On Demand.
- Discovery Channel available to more customers: Discovery Channel will be made available to more Sky customers through a move from Sky’s Entertainment Package to Sky’s Starter Package.
- Supersized Living: Food Network shows will find a new home on Living in 2021, creating a supersized lifestyle channel, the best place to find all your favourite Living and Food Network shows.